Monday, August 3, 2009

how do i look?

I will praise thee; for I am fearfully and wonderfully made: marvellous are thy works; and that my soul knoweth right well. -Psalm 139:14

so today honey bear and i went to have our pictures taken for our credit card (we have only one credit card used only when necessary but this is another post). i did not know that i was going to have my picture taken so needless to say i was not pleased with this revelation. i often tell honey bear that i feel like a sausage poured into its casing and today was no different. i am sure my hair was quite a mess and by this time in the day my makeup was next to invisible. fine, i'll have my picture taken - i mean, it is for the security of my identity. of course honey bear commented on what a good picture it was and, bless his heart, jeremiah the bank guy agreed in earnest. i was not convinced.

on the way home i started really thinking about my response to my physical appearance. i am always so quick to say how horrible i look or to point out my various physical flaws. no amount of compliments from husband persuades me otherwise. but today i am jarred out of my self loathing by the oh so sweet cooing and babbles of my little bug. she is undoubtedly the most beautiful baby i have ever seen and i am sure she is going to be the most beautiful toddler, preteen, teenager, and woman i will have ever seen. and i am teaching her just how lovely she is inside and out each day...um...negative.

if all my little buggie hears is how her mommy needs to lose weight, needs to apply her makeup differently, needs a new hairstyle, never says thank you to a compliment about her looks what will she think of herself? how can she have a positive view of her own appearance? i am guessing it won't be easy.

and what am i saying to bug about our Creator? that He left us out of the beauty giveaway? that He thinks our appearance is less than beautiful? come to think of it, not only am i saying all of this to bug but i'm saying it to Him. something like, thanks, Father God for all of your many gifts and for making me ugly. it sounds crazy but, in essence, that is exactly what i'm saying.

it is now my goal to replace any negative thought about my appearance with something positive about my appearance. and to remember that i am a work of God and His works are marvelous. let's do this to show our Father we are thankful for these amazing creations we call our bodies, to show ourselves that we are indeed beautiful, and to show our daughters that they too are fearfully and wonderfully made!

mommy and her sweet beautiful bug


7 comments:

Alexis said...

I love the looks of your blog. So cute! You sure have jumped in followers since yesterday! Congratulations!

Anonymous said...

I found you on the MckLinky Blog hop I am offering you words of "encouragement" to feel better about yourself!

Visit my Blog....

www.thriftycoupondeals.com

Miss Thrifty

Mike and Katie said...

Just think, when you look at yourself in pictures 10 years from now, you're not going to see the flaws you see now. You going to think,"Look how young and beautiful I was!"

I used to avoid pictures because I hated the way I looked, but now I wish there were more of me.

Just a funny side note, the only picture I ever heard my grandmother complain about was one wear she was wearing make-up. She had a stack of them hidden in her drawer and didn't want any one to see them. My cousins and I, of course, snuck them out have them harbored at home because it is a wonderful picture of her and my grandpa despite the lipstick and eye shadow that she never wore in real life.

Katie

bug's mimi said...

of course, i think you're gorgeous!(no, it's not a mother thing!) this was a wonderful post... you are really getting me to think.
i'm soooo excited about your followers...yay!!! love you and the bug and ant

dani said...

thank you all for following along!
katie, i just love the story about your grandma. it isn't often you hear of a woman that doesn't want to be seen in her makeup!

dani

Bethany said...

Good post. We do not say the "f" word (fat) in our home. I refuse to allow those pressures on my little ones. It's such a tool of the liar to get us to doubt/questions God. Thanks fo sharing.

Carrie said...

Hi! I found your blog through MckMama's blogfrog forum. I totally understand what you're saying. I have an almost 11 month old baby girl, and I don't want my insecurities to be passed along to her. This is something I need to work on :o)

Post a Comment

i would love to hear from you! however, anonymous comments will not be posted.
"Let no corrupt communication proceed out of your mouth, but that which is good to the use of edifying, that it may minister grace unto the hearers." Ephesians 4:29

 

Dates Diapers & Deity