Sunday, August 2, 2009

downsizing

with the failing (but i hear starting to rebound...) economy the word downsizing has become a part of our everyday vocabulary. what a nasty word. so in church this evening when the speaker (pastor was away) said the word downsize my ears perked up. see, my husband's company has filed bankruptcy so everyday he still has a job is a good one. but tonight the word downsizing wasn't referring to our economy and unemployment; it was referring to our sin.

we all to often downsize our sin. we call it by names that sound so much nicer. i like to refer to my sin as simply my weakness. i didn't mean to do it, i'm weak. i have been discovering lately how quick to anger i am. i am disappointed in myself and often embarrassed. and the receiver of my quick anger is my so sweet honey bear who never raises his voice at me or reprimands my tiffs. after tonight's message i realize that i have been downsizing these anger outbursts. i apologize following it up immediately with "i've just had a hard day" or "i don't mean to yell at you." my God is not onboard with these excuses. i figured that out today. these 'moments of weakness' are out and out sin. not only should i apologize without excuse to my husband but i must apologize to my Savior for the sin i have committed.

it is so much easier to tell honey bear i am sorry and that i wasn't feeling well and for him to tell me it's ok and hug me than it is to say to him that i apologize for my inexcusable outburst and then face the Lord and ask Him to forgive me. but in the end i know that God is working in my life and showing me these heart issues i need to work on. He wants me to be wholly His and He chastens those He loves.

i know i won't get this perfect from here on out but at least now i recognize the downsizing of sin in my life. i covet your prayers as i work on this area in my life. and i challenge you to look at your heart and see if you've been downsizing sin in any areas. it is time for a rebound of our heart economy!

4 comments:

Pam said...

Love the blog and thanks for the invite!!!!!!

Doula Mama

Pam said...

here is my blog
www.motheringthemotherinnc.blogspot.com
www.motheringthemotherinnc.com

Sonya said...

I have never heard it put this way but I totally agree. I do this too. I make excuses for the way that I act or the things that I say in order to make myself feel better or to justify the things that I do.

CrayonKeeper said...

Wonderful and thought provoking post! Now following you and look forward to many more posts!
Alycia

Post a Comment

i would love to hear from you! however, anonymous comments will not be posted.
"Let no corrupt communication proceed out of your mouth, but that which is good to the use of edifying, that it may minister grace unto the hearers." Ephesians 4:29

 

Dates Diapers & Deity