Wednesday, August 12, 2009

grace that is greater...

i had mentioned a few days ago that i wanted to talk about the greatest gift i have ever received. today is the day...grace is that gift!

i often struggle with the remembrance of past sin. the memories often creep up at the most inappropriate times - while enjoying an evening with my husband, while alone with the Lord during my quiet time. i often can't seem to escape the thoughts of things i have done to disappoint my Lord.

it has taken me years, and i still have not passed the test, to learn that these constant reminders of my human nature are not coming from God. He doesn't even remember them. i allow the enemy to swoop in and fill my mind and heart with shame and guilt for things that Jesus has already covered with His blood. these beautiful words are from a hymn that is very dear to my heart:

Marvelous grace of our loving Lord, 
grace that exceeds our sin and our guilt!
Yonder on Calvary's mount outpoured,
there where the blood of the Lamb was spilt.

Grace, grace, God's grace,
grace that will pardon and cleanse within;
grace, grace, God's grace,
grace that is greater than all our sin!


when i allow satan to remind me of sin that i have already laid at the foot of the cross i am saying that Jesus must have died in vain; that this forgiveness and grace that He speaks of is for naught. it is like telling the Father, "yeah, yeah, thanks for the forgiveness and everything but i just am not going to let this go."

holding onto sin that has been forgiven not only makes you feel lousy but it impedes your relationship with Jesus from growing and makes you less effective in living your life for Him. the Lord expects confession of sin only once. when He has forgiven, it is sealed. if i lash out at honey bear, ask for his forgiveness, and then every day after ask again and continually feel guilt for my attitude, honey bear and i will come to a dead end in our relationship. i will be so hung up on the past indiscretion that i will put a roadblock in any growth husband and i may have together. i think it works the same way with Jesus. if i refuse to accept His forgiveness and move on i'm blocking any further heart work He can do on me. and in that my Christian walk is halted.

the biggest thing i have come to realize through this is that there is a war going on for my soul. a spiritual war that i can not see but that absolutely does affect me. the enemy has lost my eternal soul to the Father but he so desires to make the earthly life i live as miserable as possible. when he reminds me of the wrongs i have done and tells me there is no way a Holy God could possibly use such a tattered mess of a person and i believe those things, he has won the battle. satan delights in my feelings of guilt. he delights in me thinking i am useless to the Kingdom. i must stand up to the evil one and remind him, "blessed is the one whose transgression is forgiven, whose sin is covered." psalm 32:1

God's grace has covered all the sin i have or ever will commit. i can live peacefully in the knowledge of my faithful God's promise. i can approach the rest of my life knowing that Jesus paid it all!

casting crowns has a song that has been such an encouragement to me as i have struggled with letting go of forgiven sin. i hope that it will speak some truth and comfort to you as well.




1 comments:

bug's mimi said...

praise God for His scarred hands and His awesome grace!

Post a Comment

i would love to hear from you! however, anonymous comments will not be posted.
"Let no corrupt communication proceed out of your mouth, but that which is good to the use of edifying, that it may minister grace unto the hearers." Ephesians 4:29

 

Dates Diapers & Deity