Saturday, September 5, 2009

pray without ceasing...unless everything is ok

for the past day and half i have had some sort of stomach bug. i will be honest, i am a weenie when my tummy is sick. so i have spent much much time in prayer asking the Lord to take the yuckiness away. anytime i was just feeling really bad or i thought about the sickness i would pray for God's healing.

today i feel great! completely back to normal. and i have prayed a total of...well... zero times. yep, i couldn't stop talking to God when i needed Him to do something for me, but now that those prayers have been answered i'll talk to Him when i get a chance. i am ashamed of myself. if i was treated that way by honey bear or any other person that claims to be a friend or even family i would be none to pleased. but it is the exact way i treat my heavenly Father. glad He's there when i need Him but too busy to even say good morning when all is well.

the key here is that i ALWAYS need Him. there is not a moment in my life, good or bad, when i do not need the Lord. anything good is from Him and by Him so how do i so easily leave Him out during those joyous times?

what a patient Father. though He doesn't hear from me for a couple of days He is right there ready to answer when i call out to Him for help. i deserve absolutely none of His mercy and grace yet He so freely offers it - even when i don't ask. i long for the closeness to the Father that daily prayer brings. it is but myself that keeps me from that sweet relationship and those tender moments. may i start treating my best Friend as such - may i start giving the Creator of the universe and Lover of my soul the respect He so greatly deserves.

3 comments:

Alexis said...

So true!

A lady in our church testified some time ago about a similar thing that happened to her. She said that she had told her little boys that they needed to pray for rain so it would help their little vegetable garden grow. In time, rain came, and the next day, she took them outside to see the garden. She told them that God had given them the rain that they had asked Him for, and that they needed to thank Him.

Her oldest called out to the sky,"Thanks for the rain, God! We don't need you anymore!"

She sort of chuckled and said, "No, no, no! That's not true! We need Him everyday in everything!"

Then she said that she felt like that was exactly how she treated God. As soon as He gives her what she needs, she's through with Him until she needs something else.

But really, that's not true. She needs Him everyday in everything.

And so do I! Thanks for reminding me that He's the God of storm clouds and sunshine!

Lindsey said...

I love your blog. Your post is right on. Praying without ceasing is so important and what He desires. It's so easy to not pray when things are going very well. It's so important to our christian walks to keep our lines of communication with our Lord and Savior always open!

Hopefully you can stop by my blog. I have been married 10 years and have 3 sweet daughters. I just this past spring became a SAHM after 8 years of teaching! I look foward to following your blog! God bless!

dani said...

alexis, i love the story! thank you for sharing that.

lindsey, so glad you're here. i am on my way to your blog!

Post a Comment

i would love to hear from you! however, anonymous comments will not be posted.
"Let no corrupt communication proceed out of your mouth, but that which is good to the use of edifying, that it may minister grace unto the hearers." Ephesians 4:29

 

Dates Diapers & Deity