Monday, November 2, 2009

let me check my schedule

i have always been a person that works better with a list. to accomplish anything in a timely and organized manner i need to write it down. i make lists for packing, for projects, for shopping. when i was in college i always felt like i was accomplishing more when i was able to mark things off of my list.


being a stay at home mom is all new to me. i figured i would have housework and baby to care for and how hard could it be? however, most days i find myself running over in my head all of the things i should/could be doing - clean the bathrooms. fold the laundry, unload the dishwasher, vacuum, go through bug's clothes, hang pictures, take out the garbage, mop the kitchen floor, etc etc - and instead of doing them i get overwhelmed with the ongoing list and beat myself up over how much i'm not getting done. i make it to the end of the day having finished maybe one task and dreading the morning when i will face the ever growing list again and my inadequacies as a stay at home mom/wife.

i approached honey bear about how this is affecting not only how our home looks but also how i feel in my role as wife and mother. we have come up with a plan that i think will do some amazing things around here! each saturday i am going to take 2 or so hours to myself. i can go to a bookstore, coffee shop, the park, even just sit in the car if i like. during this time i am going to make lists - lists of cleaning i'd like to take on and assign it to a day (ie bathrooms on monday, bug's room on tuesday, etc), lists of menus, lists for the grocery store, lists of errands assigned to a day. i will be able to follow a daily list of chores, errands, and projects and cross them off as i complete them. not only will i be able to mark things off but i will be tackling things on a day by day basis instead of a never ending, seemingly insurmountable mountain of need-to-dos.

when my lists are finished, i can do some things just by myself. my alone time only happens when i need to use the bathroom and then only if honey bear is home to keep an eye on bug while i go. i never understood the energy boost some people will get from some alone time, but since not being alone for the past 10 months i think i am understanding it a bit more. it is nice to sometimes be alone with your own thoughts - for just a bit. i am hoping to listen to music, read my Bible, do a little mindless shopping, and maybe even some reading from the growing stack of books on my nightstand.

i really feel like this is a plan that will not only help me get things done around here but will help me be more content. don't get me wrong, i am not unhappy - i have the best husband in the world and a beautiful little girl. but letting my daily tasks overwhelm me allows the enemy to invade my thoughts. he will use any moment of stress to make me doubt my worthiness. my discontent with my lack of accomplishment in my home rubs off on my relationship with my husband and on my interaction with my baby. it is time to stand up and fight back - list in hand and all prayed up!

do you have a getaway that works for you during the week? how do you keep the housework and mommy duties in check without feeling overwhelmed?

1 comments:

Staci said...

I am in the same boat as you. I make lists until they turn into books! Some days are better than others with getting things crossed off. Other days I somehow find something else to do that wasn't on my list and then just add it to my list so I have something to cross off :) Nowadays being almost 8 months pregnant I feel accomplished if I get 2 loads of laundry done and the dishwasher emptied! My husband and I were talking last night about how overwhelmed I feel and he doesn't think it is healthy for me to not get out by myself for a little while. Maybe I'll bring up your idea to him and see what he thinks about letting me have time out of the house for a couple hours a week. He takes the kids with him sometimes but if I am home then I just end up doing housework and it is not "me" time. Good luck and I hope it works out for you.

Post a Comment

i would love to hear from you! however, anonymous comments will not be posted.
"Let no corrupt communication proceed out of your mouth, but that which is good to the use of edifying, that it may minister grace unto the hearers." Ephesians 4:29

 

Dates Diapers & Deity